Affogato with Orange and Drambuie Ice cream
Drambuie’s take on a simple impressive Italian coffee-based dessert. Make an impact with the homemade Drambuie ice cream and coffee blend, then top with a zesty orange peel for a hint of freshness.
- Prepare1 hour, plus freezing time.
FOR THE ORANGE AND DRAMBUIE ICE CREAM (MAKES 600ml)
- 600ml double cream
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
- 4 egg yolks
- 150g golden caster sugar
- zest 2 oranges and juice of 1
- 75ml Drambuie Honeyed Liqueur
FOR THE COFFEE
- 80ml hot espresso or strong coffee
- 1/2 cinnamon stick, crushed
- 1 cardamom pod, bruised
- 1 star anise, crushed
- 8 scoops Drambuie ice cream or shop-bought vanilla ice cream
- 80ml Drambuie Honeyed Liqueur
- 20g amaretti biscuits, crumbled
- 20g dark chocolate, roughly chopped into small pieces
- 4 star anise orange peel
1. To make the ice cream in advance, pour the cream into a saucepan and add the vanilla paste. Gently heat until it starts to bubble at the sides then remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly for about 15 minutes.
2. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl with an electric hand whisk until thickened, then while still whisking, pour the cream into the bowl and mix until combined.
3. Pour into a saucepan and gently heat, without boiling, stirring continuously until thickened enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. This could take up to 20 minutes. Stir in the orange zest, juice and Drambuie. Remove from the heat and allow cool as quickly as possible, then put in the fridge to chill.
4. When chilled, pour into a lidded freezer-proof container and freeze for at least 3-4 hours, preferably overnight, taking it out and whisking withe a fork every hour until frozen solid. The ice cream can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
5. When you are ready to serve the Affogato, place 4 serving glass in the freezer. Remove the ice cream from the freezer to soften slightly.
6. Prepare the coffee, using 2 teaspoons instant espresso dissolved in 80ml of just-boiled water, or prepare using your usual method. Add the cinnamon stick, cardamom pod and star anise and leave to infuse for a few minutes while preparing the ice cream.
7. Remove the serving glasses from the freezer and spoon two scoops of ice cream into each one. Working quickly, drizzle 20ml Drambuie over each serving, then pour over the coffee passing it through a strainer to catch the spices. It’s best to do this at the table so it can be eaten immediately.
8. Serve each with a scattering of amaretti and dark chocolate, a star anise and a twist of orange peel.