Chocolate and Raspberry Mousse Bomb
The ultimate show stopper dessert, fresh raspberries are encased in a rich chocolate Drambuie mousse and chocolate shell. When ready to serve, simply remove from the freezer and defrost for 15 minutes.
- Prepare1 hour 30 minutes including freezer time.
- You will need3cm silicone moulds and 5cm silicone moulds.
FOR THE FRUIT CENTRE
- 130g raspberries
- 15g icing sugar, or to taste
FOR THE SHELL
- 80g dark chocolate
FOR THE MOUSSE
- 2 eggs, separated
- 35g caster sugar
- 100g dark chocolate
- 150ml double cream
- 3 tbsp Drambuie honeyed liqueur
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Freeze-dried raspberries
1. In a small bowl use a fork to lightly crush the raspberries, then pass through a sieve to remove the seeds. Sift the icing sugar over the raspberries and mix together, adding more if needed. Spoon into the 3cm silicone dome moulds and place in the freezer until frozen solid.
2. Next, prepare the shells. Break the chocolate into pieces and either melt in the microwave in 10 second bursts, or in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Allow to cool to room temperature. Brush the melted chocolate into the holes of the 5cm silicone moulds and chill in the fridge to set.
3. To make the mousse, whisk the egg whites in a bowl until foamy. Whisk in half of the sugar and continue to whisk until it forms soft peaks.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the remaining sugar.
5. Melt the chocolate in the same way as for the shells then set aside. Beat the Drambuie and cocoa powder into the egg yolk mixture. Pour in the melted chocolate and mix until combined.
6. Whisk the cream until just thickened then fold this into the chocolate and yolk mix, followed by the egg whites.
7. Spoon the mousse into the 5cm moulds, filling half way up. Take the frozen raspberries out of the moulds and press into the centre of each chocolate mousse. Cover with a little more mousse so they are encased. Place back in the freezer until frozen solid.
8. Remove the mousse from the freezer and release from the moulds about 15 minutes before serving, scattering with freeze-dried raspberries.