Gluten-free Chocolate Cake with Drambuie marinated cherries
A rich gluten free chocolate cake with a delicious combination of dark chocolate, coffee and Drambuie, and topped with cherries marinated in Drambuie Whisky Liqueur.
- Preparation Time25 minutes, plus overnight marinating time
- Cooking Time20 minutes
For the cherries
- 200g fresh or frozen cherries, pitted
- 150ml Drambuie Whisky Liqueur
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
For the cake
- 100g unsalted butter, plus extra to grease
- 125g dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 tbsp Drambuie Whisky Liqueur
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 100g caster sugar
- 50g light soft brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 75g ground almonds
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp espresso powder
For the cream
- 250ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 3 tbsp cherry soaking liquid
1. Make the cherries a day ahead. Gently heat the sugar and Drambuie in a small pan until the sugar has dissolved. Place the cherries in a bowl and pour the syrup over the top. Leave overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 180ºC / 160º fan / gas mark 4. Butter a 20cm springform tin. Line the base with greaseproof paper.
3. Heat the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. Mix in the Drambuie and vanilla, then set aside.
4. Whisk together the sugars and eggs until doubled in size. Combine the ground almonds with the cocoa and espresso powders, then slowly whisk into the sugar and egg mix.
5. Whilst still whisking, pour in the melted chocolate and whisk until combined.
6. Pour into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until the top is set and the cake is beginning to come away at the sides. Allow to cool in the tin.
7. When you are ready to serve, whip the cream with the vanilla and 3 tablespoons of the Drambuie the cherries have been soaking in. Spoon on top of the cake and top with the Drambuie-soaked cherries spooned over the top.