Coffee and Drambuie Meringue Kisses
Create a beautiful pairing with your coffee with these Drambuie coffee meringues. Delicately infused with the whisky liqueur and espresso, there’s also a hint of cardamom and honey which complements any coffee serve perfectly.
- Prepare30 minutes, plus 2 hour cooling time.
- Cook35-40 minutes.
FOR THE MERINGUES
- 2 egg whites
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- 2 tsp espresso powder
- 1 tsp boiling water
FOR THE CREAM
- 150ml double cream
- 2 tbsp Drambuie honeyed liqueur, or to taste
- 2 tsp heather honey
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
1. Preheat the oven to 130ºC / 110ºC fan / Gas Mark 1/2. Line 2 large baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
2. Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl until doubled in size. Add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, continuing to whisk, until thick and glossy and holding stiff peaks. Fold through the vanilla paste. Mix the espresso powder with the boiling water and stir into a paste. Fold through the meringue so it makes ripples.
3. Using a teaspoon, drop spoonfuls of the meringue onto the prepared baking trays, using the back of the spoon to form swirls.
4. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the meringue bases come off the parchment clean. Turn off the oven and leave the meringues to cool down in the oven. Once cool remove from the oven. The meringues will now last for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
5. To make the filling, whisk the cream until just thickened, being careful not to over whip it. Fold through the Drambuie, honey and ground cardamom. You could make this earlier in the day then use to fill the meringues when you are ready to serve.
6. Use a teaspoon to smooth the cream onto the bottom of half of the meringues, or pipe on for a neater finish, then sandwich together with the remaining meringues.